Thursday, July 12, 2012

Poem

In this Blog I will present a poem, written in Frank O'Hara's "style". Frank O'Hara was an American writer, poet and  art critics who lived in mid 1900's. His poems contained descriptions, art/cultural references and were based on his observations of New York City.

“Silly Dream”
I  am stuck in the City
Full of Cockroaches
Cockroaches that do not make me think of Cha-Cha or Rumba steps,
But dust and filth
Summer comes with the rush of Tampa zee bridge, 209 and Ellenville full of oaks and deer
Bears and chipmunks, Oh what a dream
But no, I am stuck in the City
Full of odor and influence by Lady Gaga and craziness  
Summer comes, cowboy booth, straw hat on  and Blake Shelton with Luke Bryan in the back
Honky-tonk and old jeans, Oh what a dream
But no, there is no sight of buck chewing corn; with them wishing it was mid November before noon
Summer comes, summer goes, future lies unknown
Soon, Right after college, Oh what a dream,
A dream will come true. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Magdalena-

    Your introduction to Frank O'Hara and his style of poetry is concise and direct. Good job!

    I love your poem! You did a great job of following O'Hara's style. You made references to New York City (Tampa Zee Bridge) and to pop culture (Lady Gaga). My favorite line is, "Cockroaches that do not make me think of Cha-Cha or Rumba steps". It is so clever! I also love how you juxtaposed descriptions of the city with descriptions of the country. It seems that you are dreaming for the complete opposite type of summer you are having, but the ending gives hope that you will have that summer you want one day. My only suggestion would be that I think you could find a more descriptive or interesting word than craziness. Maybe you can elaborate on odor? I wish I had more criticism for you, but I honestly think it's great!

    ReplyDelete